Hello, what do we have here? Is it another readathon? I think so! Because doing one or two at once is just not enough for some people! I can’t believe it has been nearly a year since the last tome topple! I’ve collected a few tomes since the last readathon, and I have a big challenge ahead that involves finishing The Count of Monte Cristo, so this really couldn’t have come at a better time for me.
Tome Topple is a two week readathon created by Sam aka Thoughts on Tomes and this time the readathon is taking place from midnight in your timezone on 29th June until 11:59pm on 12th July. The aim of this readathon is to read big books, aka books over 500 pages aka “tomes”, so unlike many readathon, it’s about the number of pages in a book rather than the quantity of books you manage to finish over the fortnight. Want more information? You can watch Sam’s announcement video or check out the readathon Twitter page and/or the Goodreads group.
And, to help us along, there are some challenges to tackle too! They are as follows:
- Read more than 1 tome – OK, so between The Count of Monte Cristo, and my other reads, I think I will probably struggle to finish more than 1 tome this readathon. I haven’t wanted to over commit to reading during this readathon, but use it more to embark on some longer books, so I’ll do my best but I am making no promises.
- Read a graphic novel (still over 500 pages) – I said this last time and I will say it again: I don’t know of any graphic novels over 500 pages never mind own one. I see buying one for the sake of completing a challenge both pointless and counter-intuitive, because I’m trying to read tomes on my existing TBR, so I won’t be doing this one. Sorry, not sorry.
- Read a tome that is part of a series – Erm, this probably depends what book I am in the mood to read and I am not sure any of the tomes I have on my TBR are actually in series, so we will see how this goes.
- Buddy read a tome – My friend and housemate Emma is taking part in tome topple as well. Neither of us have plans to finish The Count of Monte Cristo during the readathon itself because the Full Monte Read-Along goes on into August, but I will be reading this with her so I guess that counts as buddy reading a tome, right?!
- Read an adult novel – I pretty much just have to finish a book (unless it’s Children of Blood and Bone) and I will finish this challenge comfortably. (Or read the requisite number of pages in The Full Monte Read-Along, because I’m counting that too).
- The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas: OK, from the outset I have to say that I am not really super interested in finishing this book during this readathon. It’s not that I don’t want to finish it, it’s that I am also taking part in The Full Monte Read-Along, which means there is a prescibed reading pace and pages quota, and that means I won’t finish the whole thing in this two week readathon. But this book is technically over 1000 pages long, and as I am definitely going to be reading it during this readathon I have decided to count it because why not?
- The Seven Lives of Evelyn Hardcastle Stuart Turton: I love a good thriller, and I love the boardgame Cluedo, so I decided to buy this book because I was very much hooked into the premise. I am super excited to read it and think it will compliment The Count of Monte Cristo, and the bonus is that it fits for an OWLs readathon resit challenge too!
- Children of Blood and Bone Toni Adeyemi: I was desperate to read this for so long, but now as I own it I haven’t really been in the mood. I think now is the time to finally pick it up and devour it, because I am on a run of reading and loving fantasy right now.
- Crisis Frank Gardner: This book was featured on my last Tome Topple TBR and has had a colourful history in this house. After my Mum started it, and then we lost it in the back of a taxi in a Miami port, it was repurchased by both myself and my Mum, and has then sat unread since. Well, my copy has, my Mum has read it. I know that there is a second book by him coming out so I would like to read this first one before that one comes out.
Are you taking part in Tome Topple?
What Tomes will you be tackling?