It has been a long while since I have done a tag of any kind, but when I saw this one over at Giovanna’s blog a while ago, I squirrelled it away to do at a later date. And, well, today is that later date! It is quite a simple tag about unpopular opinions, those that deviate from the normal in some way.
So, without further ado:
- A popular book or series that you didn’t like: The Maze Runner by James Dashner: I have read lots of different dystopian and YA novels, but for some reason I just couldn’t get into this series at all. And it’s not just the books, I really didn’t take to the movies either.
- A popular book that everyone hates but you love. Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James: I loosely use the term love, because I don’t love them, but they are books that are hated in the wider world. They’re poorly written, and pretty rubbish really, but I enjoyed them, I shifted through them, and surely that is what reading is all about?!
- A love triangle where your ship did not sail. Wanda/Melanie, Jared, Ian: OK, so this sort of works out in the end, but I can’t help feeling it is a huge cop out. I always liked Wanda/Melanie and Ian together, it felt and seemed more genuine and heartfelt and real.
- A popular genre that you hardly reach for: YA Fantasy: I haven’t ever been big into YA fantasy. I am starting to actively change this now as Emma is introducing me to new books and authors, but it remains a genre that I wouldn’t ever reach for unprompted.
- A beloved character you didn’t like: Edward Cullen: I’m not the biggest fan of Twilight in its entirity, but I really cannot stand the noble, obsessive, all consuming love that Edward and Bella have.
- A popular author you can’t get into. John Green: I don’t know if it is the genre, or that the ship had pretty much sailed when I even contemplated reading any of his books, but they just don’t hold appeal or make me want to stick at reading them.
- A popular book series you have no interest in reading. The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clarke: I stole this a little from Giovanna I admit, but I completely agree. I’m not sure what it is about this series, but they just don’t appeal.
- An adaptation you like better than the book: Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk: I love the film, it is brilliant, and is highly critically acclaimed, but the book is quite, well, limp. I just didn’t like it.
So, that’s that. I invite you to tag yourself, and answer the questions, or comment below with some of your answers.